Terms of Service
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by ProjectPal, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
1. Your ProjectPal.org Account. If you create an account on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the account. You must not provide information on your account in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade or benefit on the name or reputation of others, and ProjectPal may change or remove any content that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause ProjectPal liability. You must immediately notify ProjectPal of any unauthorized uses of your account or any other breaches of security. ProjectPal will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
2. Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate an account, create a project, apply to a project, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not pornographic, does not contain threats or incite violence, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
- your Content is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
- your Content does not contain patient confidential (or otherwise sensitive) material; and
- your Content is not produced in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person, company, or institute. For example, your account’s name is not the name of a person other than yourself;
By submitting Content to ProjectPal, you grant ProjectPal a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your Content to possible applicants or project supervisors. If you delete Content, ProjectPal will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.
Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, ProjectPal has the right (though not the obligation) to, in ProjectPal’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in ProjectPal’s reasonable opinion, violates any ProjectPal policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in ProjectPal’s sole discretion.
3. Responsibility of Website Visitors. ProjectPal has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, ProjectPal does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. ProjectPal disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
4. Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, made available through the websites and webpages to which ProjectPal.org links, and that link to ProjectPal.org. ProjectPal does not have any control over those non-ProjectPal websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-ProjectPal website or webpage, ProjectPal does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. ProjectPal disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-ProjectPal websites and webpages.
5. Copyright Infringement. As ProjectPal asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by ProjectPal.org violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify ProjectPal. ProjectPal will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. ProjectPal will terminate a visitor’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of ProjectPal or others.
6. Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from ProjectPal to you any ProjectPal or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with ProjectPal. ProjectPal, the ProjectPal.org logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics, design, and logos used in connection with ProjectPal.org, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of ProjectPal. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any ProjectPal or third-party trademarks.
7. Changes. ProjectPal reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. ProjectPal may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
8. Termination. ProjectPal may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your ProjectPal.org account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
9. Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. ProjectPal hereby disclaims all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. ProjectPal makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
10. Limitation of Liability. In no event will ProjectPal be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; or (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; ProjectPal shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
12. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless ProjectPal, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
13. Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between ProjectPal and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of ProjectPal, or by the posting by ProjectPal of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the United Kingdom, excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be Her Majesty’s Courts of Justice located in England, United Kingdom. Claims regarding intellectual property rights may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; ProjectPal may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
Your privacy is critically important to us. By the nature of ProjectPal.org, we transfer your information to other people you’d like to give it to (such as potential applicants or project supervisors). At ProjectPal we have a few fundamental principles:
- We don’t ask you for personal information unless we truly need it.
- We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable electronic safeguards to secure the information we collect online.
- We don’t share your personal information with anyone you haven’t asked us to, except to comply with the law, or make our service more useful for you.
Like most website operators, ProjectPal collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. ProjectPal’s purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to better understand how ProjectPal’s visitors use its website. From time to time, ProjectPal may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website.
ProjectPal might also collect potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for logged in users. ProjectPal only discloses logged in user IP addresses under the same circumstances that it uses and discloses personally-identifying information as described below.
Gathering of Personally-Identifying Information
Certain visitors to ProjectPal’s websites choose to interact with ProjectPal in ways that require ProjectPal to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that ProjectPal gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who sign up for an account at ProjectPal.org to provide a name, email address, contact details, and professional/academic history. Those who apply to projects with ProjectPal are asked to provide additional information such as a CV. In each case, ProjectPal collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with ProjectPal. ProjectPal does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below. And visitors can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities.
ProjectPal may collect statistics about the behavior of visitors to its websites. ProjectPal may display this information publicly or provide it to others. However, ProjectPal does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below.
Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
By the nature of ProjectPal.org, when a user creates a project, personally-identifying information such as name and place of work/study is visible to other signed-in users of the website. This is to allow users to easily find projects they are interested in and will help projects get more applicants. By creating a project, you consent to the publication of this information among the site's logged-in users.
When users apply to projects, personally-identifying information such as name, place of work/study, contact details, and CV will be passed on to supervisors for review. Supervisors should use this information to assess applicants’ suitability for a project and contact them for an interview if necessary. ProjectPal is not liable if users misuse this information. When applying to a project, you consent to the transfer of this information to the supervisor. Only send information that you are comfortable sending to supervisors you trust. If a user of ProjectPal has misused your information, please notify ProjectPal.org so that ProjectPal can take punitive measures, and notify the authorities if necessary. Any misuse of information gained through ProjectPal.org will result in the termination of your account.
Other than this, ProjectPal discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on ProjectPal’s behalf or to provide services available at ProjectPal’s websites, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using ProjectPal’s websites, you consent to the transfer of such information to them. ProjectPal will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. Other than to its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations, as described above, ProjectPal discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or when ProjectPal believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of ProjectPal, third parties or the public at large. If you are a registered user of a ProjectPal website and have supplied your email address, ProjectPal may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what’s going on with ProjectPal and our products. If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. ProjectPal takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.